Why We Like Cloud Web Hosting
Feb 14, 2012
There are several advantages of cloud hosting over shared web hosting or even over dedicated server hosting. Here at Inorbital we have worked with many types of hosting scenarios over the years however we are now more and more utilizing cloud hosting for the reasons described in this post.
Cloud Servers deliver a pay-as-you-grow, elastic, enterprise-grade cloud infrastructure that can be self-provisioned and administered 24 hours a day, offering full administrator access and complete control to scale individual computing resources when and as needed.
Advantages of cloud computing platform:
- On-demand Scalability: Turn services on and off on the fly to scale up or down to exactly the amount of computing power you need, exactly when your business needs it. Buy only what you need to get started and grow your performance seamlessly to accommodate changing demands. This pay as you need flexibility allows you to ramp up and down with literally a flick of the switch. Add a processor or more ram when you need it through a web-based interface.
- Web-based control panel: Full control via the web-based Cloud Portal provides you streamlined and simplified management of your server and a direct connection to all of the tools to customize your server instances at any time of the day. The benefit here is you can control what server resources you need and when in a timely manner.
- Rapid Provisioning: Once you set up a cloud hosting account the actual cloud Server provisioning is completely automated. A new server instance can be ready for login in as little as 15 minutes and you can create as many as you need. Again the benefit here is instant scalability.
- Cost effective: Hourly and monthly rates with no long-term commitment let you optimize your cost/performance balance and return on computing investment. Pay only for the computing power you need and use.
- Support: Cloud Servers are fully supported by your web hosting company so you aren't left alone with the burden (and stress) of managing and monitoring it yourself.
- Fully Customizable: Cloud Servers are generally completely customizable, and resources such as firewall, load balancing, snapshots, and images can be added on demand and can support both Linux and Windows operating systems. The benefit here is again with flexibility and the ability to instantly scale up or down. It also provides the server framework to expand websites resources to balance over several server instances in order to create a farm of servers. This can be done by easily replicating an instance through the web-based panel and installing a load balancer. In the past this used to take days to implement can now be done in a few short hours with very little if any downtime.
Check with your current web hosting provider what they offer in terms of pricing, availability and infrastructure and what virtualization technology they are using. Any good host will already be maximizing the latest virtualization and storage technologies.
About the Author
Tony Tullio is a veteran in the interactive business and Director/Founder at Inorbital and always looking for great web apps and useful websites. Let us know what you think about this topic by commenting or rating or connect with him via Twitter