Worlds Best Airline creates best-in-class corporate intranet
Qatar Airways is one of the youngest global airlines to serve all six continents, and the world’s fastest-growing airline connecting more than 160 destinations on the map every day. With the rapid growth of the company came the need for a new and improved internal communication hub for the over 40,000 employees world-wide to use to access vital information to their job. After a rigorous international procurement process Inorbital was awarded the project and undertook the rebuild of the fastest growing airlines intranet. Qatar Airways has also the honour of being considered one of the top ranked airlines in the world by several sources including Skytrax.
With the massive amount of content and employee base accessing the intranet the wish list was extensive. The System needed to serve the purpose of a corporate communication channel, and an effective information and file sharing channel to improve collaboration from top down. The system needed to be highly configurable considering the future needs and growth of the company and the unique functional needs of each of the departments. The new intranet system will need to:
- Be completely mobile to ensure the intranet supports the upward trend of mobile consumption.
- Encourage users to select and pin content/topics they follow to their favourites profile. Based on the persona research this is a big focus for a lot of employees.
- Ensure even the newest employee can quickly learn and navigate the corporate intranet. Adopting UI best practice and commonly used interface elements for an uncomplicated user experience. We want to make sure every user gets the most out of the intranet and isn’t using only 30% of its capabilities but as close to 100% as possible.
- Be a community that keeps employees engaged and informed. It’s one thing to have an intranet and a whole other thing to have one that people enjoy using and will help them in improve their work lives.
Scope of Work
Functionality and Features
- Best-in-class scalable and customizable CMS
- Searchable Staff Directory
- Robust Search and Tagging Functionality
- Communication tools: Forums, Wikis, Knowledge Bases, Discussion boards, Blogs
- Social Tools: Commenting, sharing, pinning and rating
- Project Management tools such as calendars, events, media library and document repository
- Analytics and editor reporting
- Custom Dashboard with Active Directory Multi-Factored Authentication
- Employee Offers and Discounts
- Courses/Training Modules
The goals of this rebuild was to take an outdated and pieced together intranet that wasn’t keeping up with the rapid growth of the company and create a powerful new intranet built on the powerful Kentico platform that could be scalable to their ever-growing needs. Simply stated the 4 main problems the new intranet will need to improve is: Communication, Collaboration, Information and Business processes.
After an on-site strategy session in Doha the design team summarized all the information collected through personas and stakeholder interviews to craft a creative brief used to inform the UX and UI designs. By creating a strong brief, the entire team had firm grasp of the creative directive which was documented and approved before starting the concept design.
Upon approval of the brief the design team moved forward with the 20 high-fidelity wireframes as the base before starting the design process. Through these prototypes we could solve a lot of the potential usability issues before entering the design phase. The concept designs put it all together including colours, icons and images to bring the intranet site to life. The client was looking for a fresh design that did not adhere to the existing brand with the focus on information and findability.
The client was looking for a fresh design that did not adhere to the existing brand with the focus on information and findability.
The design success was a result of the iterative process the takes the concept as close as possible to completion before entering the development stage. Continuing to test and adjust design as we adapted to the stakeholder feedback and visual guidelines to make it a truly agile methodology.
Inorbital created a super scalable intranet that covered an ever-growing number of features, from a robust staff directory that could sort through 40,000 employees to a discussion board for employees to share their internal discussions. Special custom components introduced was the ability for employees, and their managers, to pin content to their dashboard for easy reference at any time. Inorbital also implanted a robust document library that leveraged the CMS’s built-in media library functionality.
The project was a significant undertaking and after a lot of teamwork planning, crafting and building the perfect experience Qatar Airways gained a new best-in-class intranet light year’s ahead of its predecessor.