Small Things That Will Have a Big Impact on Your Mobile Users
Jan 09, 2016
Google suggest a few small things that will have a big impact for your mobile website users. These are obvious but often overlooked tips.
- Make your whole site optimized for mobile. The industry term is "responsive" and virtually all new websites should be responsive. In very rare situations should a separate mobile only site exist.
- Don't make users need to pinch to read or view images. Make sure the images are identifiable for mobile resolutions. Thumbnails are pointless on mobile devices.
- Make detailed product images expandable. Mobile users will need to expand your product photos to view the kind of detail they will need to appreciate the image and make a decision.
- Keep users in a single browser window. Avoid opening a new browser window when being viewed on mobile devices.
- Don't refer to desktop version as the full version. Users will think that the mobile version is not the full version and opt for the full version when on mobile. So make the mobile version a full version.
- Be up front about why you are using location services. When asking for approval from your mobile users let them know why you use location services and how it will help their browsing experience. Ask when you need it not when they enter the site.
About the Author
Tony Tullio is a veteran in the interactive business and Director/Founder at Inorbital and always looking for great web apps and useful websites. Let us know what you think about this topic by commenting or rating or connect with him via Twitter