Welcome to the second instalment of our Kentico Xperience video tutorial series.Kentico Xperience is a robust and secure digital experience platform (DXP) combining content management, digital marketing, and commerce under one roof. Visit our Kentico partner page to learn more about Xperience.
In this article we will be going over the "Pages" application. The video will review the basic layout of the application. Read on for quick notes on creating pages from scratch within the application.
Pages applicationThe "Pages" application is the application content editors will be using to manages the website's pages and page types.
Pages Application is divided into two main sections: the content tree on the left frame and the viewport (the right frame).
The content tree: this is a repository of page types that make up the content of the website. When an item is clicked it will display in the viewport.
- Page types: elements that are contained in the content tree that represent content on the site. Page types do not necessarily have to be traditional pages of a website they are all the elements that make up pieces of a page. It is helpful to think of page types as content, containers of content, as well as pages.To add a page type, click on the “+” symbol above the content tree. Once you have added the page type a dialogue will open in the viewport that will direct you to adding content.
Creating Content Pages
- To add a page, click on the “+” symbol above the content tree.
- Select “Content Page” as your page type (note: the naming conventions for this page type can vary)
- Name the page and fill out the form as required (this will become the “Content” tab). To edit an existing page, you can access this same information by navigating to the page and click on “Content” tab on it is selected.
- Click “Save” and then the page will be added to the content tree and “Page” tab will appear
- Add content to Page (iwe will cover this in the next video)
- Navigate to the “Properties” tab > “Metadata” to add content for SEO
- To unpublish a page: navigate to the Content tab and set the “Publish to:” field to “Now”
- To move a page drag it within the content tree. You can also delete the page by right clicking on it or selecting it and clicking on the trash can
- To adjust the page URL, go to the “Properties Tab” and navigate to go to “URLs” and add the page name after the domain URL. To add an alias that will also return this page click “add alternative URL”. This will not change the page URL but will make the page show up for an alternative URL as well. This is sometimes used for marketing.
Now that you have the basics of adding a page, let's take a look at adding content to the page. In our next blog we will go into detail about editing on the Page tab.
Senior Project Manager
Alex has over 10 years of experience managing digital projects with a background in Psychology and Web Design.