What you need to know before taking on the role of managing website content with a CMS. No matter what Content Management System you are using these important time saving tips will make the job that much easier.
- Don't upload images directly from digital camera
- When uploading images to CMS resources arrange them into folders for easy navigation.
- Add logical file names whenever you can
- Choose a font type that’s been consistently used in the site
- Do not adjust font size unless the text in question is used for heading purposes
- Avoid adding colour to text as much as possible. Use default site colour scheme to ensure consistency
- If possible, use desktop or on-line applications (see above) to crop and resize images
- Images should not include any border.
- Image links should not include a border. Set border value to zero.
- When inserting a link, if the link refers to an external website, update link to have it open in a new window
- Avoid overusing, all caps, italic and underlined formatting
- When inserting images, insert caption for the alt tag value for accessibility purposes
- Where possible, when inserting a link and deciding on the link text, use text to describe information that’ll be displayed when link is accessed